Christian Education comes in various forms at Big Cove Church for children, youth, and adults.
Questions about any of these opportunities may be addressed to the pastor.
For children and youth ministries contact:
Ray Waldrop – Adult Christian Exploration Chair
Jodi Gallo – Children and Youth Christian Exploration Director, Chairperson
Todd Worthington – Youth Fellowship Director
Children and Youth
At Big Cove Church, everyone knows your child’s name!
We believe that every age is capable of contributing to the worship experience. Both children and youth participate in worship, from reading the scripture to collecting the offering to greeting people at the door to singing. Youth who are seeking an even greater challenge take on the significant role of worship leader.
The annual Christmas program typically incorporates the gifts of children and youth through artistic contributions, as well as participation in skits, singing and various instruments. Big Cove is extremely blessed to have children and youth who have been graced with many talents that they enthusiastically share. We are always excited to welcome new faces into the group.
On Sunday mornings during the school year from 10-10:45 AM, children K-2 and 3-5th grade enjoy music, crafts, and Bible study. Children are encouraged to participate in children’s choir to help grow their worship experience.
6-8th graders and 9-12 graders meet on Sunday mornings for Bible study and activities. Other youth offerings include:
- Confirmation classes are offered for those youth who are ready to take that next step in their faith journey. The class varies each time it is offered as it is tailored to the specific participants.
- The Thursday Night Youth Program offers a dedicated time for youth to discuss current events and other special topics happening in the lives of teenagers. Also included are bible study and prayer, along with games, movies, music, ice cream trips and other enjoyable activities. Friends are always welcome!
Back to Top
Sunday mornings, the Adults enjoy a rotating series of short-term topics. Past topics have included:
- Interfaith Series – engaging lectures and discussions with guest speakers of various faiths
- The NOOMA video series – a contemporary exploration of traditional church teachings
- The Thoughtful Christian – a downloadable, read-ahead weekly study on various relevant issues
Other opportunities for growth include:
- Immersion happens on Wednesday evenings from 6-7 PM. Geared toward young–middle–and senior adults, this discussion group immerses itself in the study of the Word of God.
- Men’s Monthly Bible Study: second Saturday of each month at 9:30 am.
Interested men meet monthly to study scripture. David Lilly is the teacher and discussion leader. The lesson format is a line-by-line analysis and discussion of the book under study. The group prides itself on its diversity of opinion. You do not have to be a biblical scholar to attend; only an open mind is required. Fresh ideas are welcomed. Contact Elder Tennent Lee for details.
- Presbyterian Women’s Circle Group and Study: first Monday of each month at 10 am
The women met for fellowship, study and service. Contact Gail Birdsong for more infomation.
- Thursday Morning Prayer Group: Thursdays at 10 am
Part of Christian Education is the practice of prayer. The Thursday Morning Prayer Group meets weekly to pray for different needs and to learn more about prayer.